Thursday 3 April 2008

The travails of the commuter

I arrived this morning at Kilburn tube station, just like normal, to find that the platform has yellow squares painted onto it. The idea is to show where the doors will be when the train stops. Nice idea. But please, London Transport, stop now. One of the only bonuses of being a commuter in this city is having the insider knowledge, i.e. knowing where the doors will be. Don't give away our secrets.

While I'm having this rant, I want to make a few other points. During peak hours, please stop all the announcements. I know I shouldn't smoke, there's signs everywhere. I know that I should tap my oyster card in and out. I know that Baker Street comes after St John's Wood. I know Bond Street has a change to the central line. I know to mind the gap. I know to stay behind the yellow line.

I don't need to be told every 30 seconds! Maybe this information is useful for tourists, but if they're travelling around at 8 in the morning and 6 in the evening then they must be mad.

Just like the earlier post about street furniture, please trust us to know what we're doing.

Squiffy.

No comments: