Thursday 12 June 2008

A surreal kind of day

It's been an unusual day. Last night I had some drinks with a group of friends, so I wasn't on top form today, but the day went a bit weird at around 12.50 today.

At that time the news came that David Davis had resigned as an MP. I was shocked, was there a personal skeleton in the closet? Had he become sickened by last nights vote on 42 days detention? Was he going to stand again?

After listening to Radio 5 live I found the truth. His speech was heart warming and resonated with everything I feel about civil liberties. I felt that here we had a courageous man who would put the good of the country before his own betterment. As the day wore on, it just started to feel strange. I can't remember anyone else doing this.

I just wonder that if Labour do not field a candidate, and it's not hard to think that they will be gutless, it will be a pointless gesture. Watching coverage on the telly, it looks like there is a focus on possible differences with David Cameron. Maybe it will blow over and the civil liberties discussion will re-invigorate politics. I hope so, but I fear that he might have made a big error. Which would be a shame as he's a very likeable politician.

Squiffy.

No comments: