Tuesday 13 July 2010

Blogging has been light of late: an explanation

Apologies to anyone who reads my blog. Go on, there has to be at least two of you! I've not posted that much since the election, mainly due to my life being a lot busier (for no real reason) and a certain amount of contentment.

I usually blog when I've heard an interview or read an article which makes me so mad that I have to get things off my chest. Recently, though, with the new Government in charge and Labour having the dullest election campaign ever (even the LibDem one was more fun) I've not had enough ooomph to make me want to write.

I think things are changing, and not because I'm getting angry with the Government - to be honest - I couldn't be happier with the future direction. No, I'm just getting really annoyed with the Labour leader hopefuls who seem to be denying they would have/would ever propose any cuts. And those that do say they would, a tiny tiny bit, would not say in any way where the axe would fall.

Anyway, on the positive, let's consider:

- Abolition of HIPS
- The brilliant budget
- Free schools
- No bin taxes
- Stop and search review, getting rid of section 44
- The OBR being set up
- Constitutional reform
- Cancelling a lot of unnecessary funding for random projects
- NHS rethink

The last item was a pleasant surprise, I thought that the Tories had been scared off changing the NHS, but they've decided to be bold and early. That's why I'll give my Minister of the month award to Andrew Lansley.

Not everything is to my liking but it's about 85% right.

Now, to Ed Balls. Yesterday he said that it was wrong to promise to cut the deficit in half. He wanted us to continue borrowing, and keep topping it up with taxes. If he likes Greece so much, why doesn't he bloody move there? For God's sake, this man was supposed to be an economic powerhouse and he has no understanding of debt markets! I really hope he becomes Labour Leader, it would be a disaster for them.

I was wondering whether to buy Peter Mandelson's book, on the strength of the Times articles so far I won't bother. There's nothing really new. One thing I did like, was an article in today's Daily Bile by David Blunkett on the subject where he says:

This was reflected most tragically in his avoidable resignations. In both cases, Peter failed to see the trouble for himself that he would easily have spotted in others.

Hello, avoidable resignations? This from the only other man to have two resignations from Tony Blair's cabinet for silly reasons.

Squiffy.

No comments: