Friday 11 October 2013

David Cameron Speech: Verdict

I was away on the day of David Cameron's speech, so didn't cover it on the day but I thought I'd say a few words about the speech for completeness.

The speech was ok. He didn't have any new policies, but was trying to form an argument. It was reasonably effective, but didn't blow your socks off.

I know David Cameron is a good speaker, but he has done the best speeches when his back is against the wall. His speech for the leadership, and again when Gordon Brown was thinking of an immediate General Election were his best. They both were when he did the speech without notes. I believe he thinks this makes him look less Prime Ministerial, but he needs to inspire. Especially now, when he has an upbeat message.

Next year, he either needs to do a speech without notes (but none of the cheesy geekiness of Ed Miliband) or find a Sam Seabourne/Toby Zeigler combo to give his oratory the lift it needs.

Squiffy.

No comments: