Sunday 10 May 2009

What should David Cameron do about Tory expenses?

If the rumours are correct the spotlight will turn on the Tories tonight. So how should David Cameron handle it?

If I were him, I would be really tough with any discrepancies. For anyone who makes a small amount of money out of the system (such as Gordon Brown's cleaner cost) should be forced to pay the money back over the next few years. For any of the larger expenses claimed which cannot be justified, he should withdraw the whip.

From the Tory team, I don't want to hear "I adhered to the system". This line is making us all mad. I want the Tories to show that they understand the anger - even if it hurts them in the short term. This gets really difficult if DC himself has been found to have played the system.

I think that, after the purge, David Cameron should then take the role of Oliver Cromwell and demand the dissolution of this corrupt, self-serving parliament. He will have the vast majority of the public behind him on this. It will be a great line in next week's PMQs.

There will be some chewed fingernails in the Tory ranks tonight!

Squiffy.

No comments: