Wednesday 23 September 2009

Clegg fails to inspire

Having listened to Nick Clegg's final speech before the General Election, I couldn't help but feel a sinking feeling.

I know that it is difficult for the third party in British politics but always seems to me that he's failing to face up to realities. Rattling off what a LibDem cabinet would look like may make the conference smile, but it made me want to laugh out loud. Apart from Vince Cable and Chris Huhne, Ed Davey and Norman Lamb, don't make me laugh.

He should look the voters in the eye and say that he would not prop up a defeated Brown Government and would try to get the best out of a Cameron Government.

Attacking the Tories for being lightweight and conmen this week seems laughable when he had no policies to mention in his speech. There were no resolved issues surrounding tuition fees, means-tested child benefit and the rubbish mansion tax. So it all remains an open issue. Don't get me started on sharing an Earl Grey with the Taliban.

The one thing that stands out is a lack of charisma or gravitas. David Cameron seems to have both, which tend to leave me entranced, Gordon Brown reels off his numbers but does it with some kind of gravity. Nick Clegg's words bounce off you or make you laugh at the unrealism.

I now know why Sky covered Obama's speech instead.

5/10

Squiffy.

No comments: