Sunday 22 July 2012

Travails of a commuter: Olympic special

I have previously ranted about the awfulness of mindless tube announcements destroying my morning commute. It got worse on Friday.

Dear Transport for London,

I have to take the Jubilee line to work, and unfortunately it is the key line for the Olympics. I knew that it would become busier, and at the beginning of last week I started to notice it a bit. I expect the next few weeks to be more difficult and crowded, and I accepted it as part of the downside to having this spectacular event.

What I didn't counter was that every journey was going to be intolerably punctuated and interrupted by infernal announcements telling me to find a different route. After every third station the tube driver came on the tannoy to tell me to avoid Baker Street, Westminster, Waterloo, London Bridge, Canary Wharf and Stratford. The announcement went on for two minutes. I live on the line and work at one of the stations to avoid, but I don't have much choice.

I'm a commuter, which is why I travel at 7.30 am and 6 pm along with 98% of others travelling at that time. We are adults with enough intelligence to keep down jobs. We know the Olympics are around the corner, we know the trains will be busier, we will find easier ways to get to work if necessary. It's what we do day in day out. 

It's going to be difficult enough, please don't make the minutes on the tube reading the newspaper even more awful by talking our internal voices - let us live in peace. Only tell us when it's up the spout again.

Yours with hands over my ears,

Squiffy.

No comments: