Monday 28 June 2010

I'm sick of the moaning...

The Budget last week was a brilliant attempt at getting on top of our deficit crisis and also to kickstart the British Economy with a more competitive environment.

If, however, you were to watch any of the discussion programmes you'd hear lots of people saying "I know we've got a terrible deficit problem, but...". You can fill the end part in with many phrases, "VAT is totally regressive", "reducing housing benefit will cause many problems", "freezing child benefit will hit mother hard"....etc

It's the same as saying, "I know we need to make cuts, but don't hurt me, hurt everyone else please." I'm sorry, but it's unrealistic. Whilst a lot of the people complaining did well through the boom years, they don't think that they should contribute to the consolidation which needs to take place now.

I know that the Budget will hit me, through larger VAT and NI, on top of the large amount in taxes I already pay. I was taxed more during the boom years too, but I accept my responsibility as someone who can pay more. I do hope that when the economy is fixed, there may be a better balance to make up for the amount of extra taxes that I will be putting in to make up for the economic incompetence of the last few years.

I would hope that others would accept their responsibility too, rather than complain that we should tackle the problem but not in a way that hurts them in their pockets.

It makes me a bit mad, so shut it!

Squiffy.

No comments: