Monday 19 October 2009

Congratulations Jenson

This is a slightly tardy message of Congratulations to Jenson Button on his first World Championship. It's slightly late because I'm recovering from a hangover, brought on by the champagne we drank last night toasting the 2009 champ!
 
We'd planned for some friends to come round to watch the Brazilian Grand Prix in the hope that Jenson would secure the title. On Saturday night, though, it looked like we were being premature. As he placed his car on the 14th spot to set off, I didn't think he could win it there and then. Just get around the Senna S and hope for the best!
 
Instead, in a fantastic race, Jenson pulled off 4 great overtaking manoevres to make a drive worthy of a champion. In a neat symmetry, both Lewis Hamilton and Nigel Mansell won the world championship coming home in 5th place.
 
As an aside, I was impressed by Kobayashi. Many Japanese drivers seem to be in F1 due to their relationships with Honda and Toyota and not purely on merit. Kobayashi's first race was very good. He was aggressive and fast, and didn't make any significant errors. He deserves to be in F1 next year.
 
At the beginning of the year I predicted that Robert Kubica would take the championship. How wrong was that? Big time - but I'm glad I was and now I'll take my hat off to Jenson Button. Deserved World Champion 2009.
 
Squiffy.
 

No comments: