Friday 23 October 2009

Question Time : The verdict

I quite enjoyed the car crash telly of last night. I didn't know whether all the questions would be BNP based or follow the normal pattern of current affairs. In the end they plumped for the former, which worked but I think that if they were to repeat the exercise they would be advised to do a normal format.
 
Most people were worried that Nick Griffin would be articulate enough to strike a chord with the working class who feel hard done by. In the end I don't think that happened, he was simply not good enough. He came across as more evasive than most politicians and tried not to explain why he had been a holocaust denier. I don't think, and I sincerely hope, that he didn't do the BNP any favours. Most of what he said seemed to deny reality in a way Gordon Brown could only dream of. His insistence on the "indigenous English" coming from the ice age 17000 years ago, floating down on an ice sheet I suspect, is just laughable. Doesn't he know that even the word English comes from the Angles (invaders from Germany), what an eejit.
 
I thought Jack Straw was awful tonight, he's usually much better than that. Baroness Warsi argued a good case and Bonnie Greer had a good one liner ("I've brought  some good history books for you, you should read them"). David Dimbleby was excellent though and asked some probing follow up questions, he's  hopefully put to one side his woeful presentation the US Presidential Election last year.
 
Great TV.
 
Squiffy.
 

No comments: